Tuesday 14 August 2012

Week 5, Semester 2


During class we looked at creating asset lists for our environments, including lists for terrain and audio assets, for example crates, trees, rocks, ambiance tracks and musical elements. Considering my environment will be a range of dense jungles, gorges, valleys and mountains, my asset list varied quite a bit. 

Here are my asset lists. These lists were generated from looking at reference images of Papua New Guinea, as my environment will heavily reflect on the geography of this island.


Asset list:


High Priority:

Temples.
Huts.
Large bamboo structures.
Village port.
Boats.
Dense jungles.


Medium Priority:

Boulders.
Torches.
Roads.
Campfires.
Large tropical trees.


Low Priority:

Rocks.
Fallen bamboo, trees and decaying logs.
Ruins.
Remains.
Coconuts.
Fruits.
Coral.
Campfire fuel (Broken wood and sticks.)
Ferns.
Weeds.
Grass.


Texture List:

Path mud
Path dirt hard / soft
Wood
Shrubbery.
Thick grass.


Music List:

Musical elements.
Tracks.
Effects and patterns.
Tribal/world cultural music.


Ambiance List:

Fire
Torch
Waterfall
Fireflies
Bugs, rainforest ambiance.
Wind, canyon, trees, structure.

This week I also began creating rough blueprint thumbnails for my environment and its level. I want to cover as much of the diversity in terrain as possible throughout this level, as the harsh landscape is responsible for separating the tribes who inhabit the island. A crucial element to my story is the communication barriers between each tribe, and by covering all the extremes of the geography in my level, the conflict between tribes will be easier to understand.

After drawing four thumbnails I settled with the last sketch I created (below). I felt that this thumbnail best represented the harsh terrain in Papua New Guinea, as well as creating enough space and diversity of terrain throughout the level objectives. 

Final: 



Final Draft:


Thumbnails:





Level objectives identified through blueprints:

1.       Defeat cannibal patrol.
2.       Ambush cannibal camp.
3.       Seize and control Urdula’s temple.
4.       Destroy fake temple and seize control of port.
5.       Get to Urdulas’ main temple and defend.



No comments:

Post a Comment